Now I know there are those out there who are saying now that there was plenty of wind for a race, we could have waited longer and could have then seen that there was in fact enough Wind of Mass Direction (WMD)
But we had all the facts that were available at the time and we made a decision. We decided that there was not and would not be WMD and now we have to live with the consequences. We had gotten the information from our Intelligence Resources which is what we are expected to do. Those resources said only 3mph until after 1:00. But don’t just sit there in your “I told you so smugness”, it could have turned out that it was the right call. Where would you be if there was no WMD as we said there would not be. If we were right and the WMD never materialized, we could have been much worse off. We could be in the middle of a full scale floater, the kind that gives you a sign of WMD and we get a start off the line and half way up the lake then it dies. There you sit, bobbing around sitting on the low side knowing full well your back is going to ache tomorrow from this non-conventional position. Bobbing because the absence of WMD brings out all the boaters who bring there heavy waves to beat up your boat, shake the winds from the sails and kill any momentum you may have gleaned from this or that puff.
So did we make the right call? In 20- 20 hindsight, No, but given the facts we had and the potential of a disasterous way to spend Father’s day, maybe we did. Somebody had to make the call. Right or Wrong